Thursday, July 24, 2008

Spoiled Rotten

Let's face it. We are raising the most spoiled generation of children to ever walk the face of planet earth. Don't get me wrong. I am guilty as charged. My children say things that shock me on a regular basis. That being the case, I also let them know just how spoiled their comments sound and inform them that I am not raising spoiled brats.

Our children have literally everything under the sun. In fact, they have 2 and 3 of just about every toy ever made! What ever happened to "good things come to those who wait"? When I was a kid and wanted a new toy or gadget, my mother told me I'd have to wait until my birthday or Christmas. And that was always a long way off.

At the beginning of the year there was a report on a family that had come upon hard times. The dad was unemployed and the wife was studying to be a nurse. They took their three beautiful girls to the grocery store to buy food and only food. I was stunned to hear the mother say, "Oh, they are going to ask for a toy. They always get toys when we come. They are not going to be happy." How ridiculous is that? Every time these girls go to the supermarket, they get a toy?

Who is to blame for our children being spoiled? You guessed it. We are! So, it is time to admit it and get to work on fixing it. Step one: Repeat after me. N-O. NO.

No comments: