Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Books on Bullying That I Highly Recommend

If your child is being bullied, you just can't read the latest books on the market fast enough. I know. I tried and found that I could not keep up with the constant taunts that my 10 year old daughter had to face day in and day out at her elementary school. I did, however, find a couple of gems in my search for help and answers to stop this attack on my child.

An absolute must for all moms, dad, caregivers, grandparents, teachers, yard duties (both paid and volunteers), and school principals and administrators is Queen Bees and Wannabes by Rosalind Wiseman. While it was written with older children in mind, it really educated me on the whole girl world dynamic. This book should be required reading for all persons involved with children.

One added bonus was that I finally understood what had happened to me back in the 8th grade when I was unwittingly attacked from behind by my Queen Bee. It took me 30 years to realize it was all thanks to her.

Currently, I am reading The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander by Barbara Coloroso. This is a brilliant book which actually goes into great depth as to the why and how of the actions of the bully and the bystander. It promises to help me turn things around. I am half way through and hoping to learn some useful tools that I can teach my daughter before she heads back off to school next month. I'll be sure to pass along any and all insight I gain from this read. I promise!:)

No comments: